Saturday 8 October 2011

Indochina Discovery; Laos, Vang Vieng

8/10/2011
4 hour drive from Vientiene to Vang Vieng. It was so bumpy! But I think I'm getting used to it now!!
Got to the hotel in the afternoon and decided to do tubing tomorrow and go visit caves today. However, when we went for lunch it PELTED down with rain! We planned on getting motorbikes. I changed my mind right there and then, I was still sick too.
The others went off and got motorbikes to the caves. When they came back I was sooo glad I didn't go along! Bikes were breaking down, people falling off bikes, bumpy roads, muddy roads and puddles, and the cave had loads of insects in it :/ there was a white spider apparently! I woulda been soooo scared!
I spent the day in the room on the net drinking whiskey :)
Later we went for 'Happy pizza' for dinner.
Next day 8th TUBING! We spent the morning at a traditional Laos 'baby christening' obviously not a christening but it was to celebrate a 15 day old (really cute) baby!
We sat on the floor and listened to what I assume as prayers, and sticky rice and chicken was passed around to eat, then we had white string tied around everyones wrists including the baby's. Its meant to mean good fortune good luck etc. (Something that didn't work for me later on in the day!) We were forced to drink alcohol and eat loads of food despite eating a large breakfast! Good food though, really nice atmosphere.
Left at about half 11 (halfway drunk lol) and went to get changed for tubing. We had to walk to the tube shop and pay for it with a deposit for the tube. I'd already assumed I wouldn't be bringing my tube back!
We got in a tuktuk to the top of the river and then tubes in hand went on a boat across to the first bar. It was really fun, drinking buckets, dancing and playing in the water. Stayed there for a while, then got on our tubes :)
It took me a while to get in mine so I was drifting away from the others, luckily I got pulled in just in time! By a rope with a water bottle at the end lol.
More funtimes at starbar. Got 1 bucket and got 1 free which I didn't want, managed to sell it to someone. We were just messin about again running into waterfalls and jumping about. Was so much fun!
Got into our tubes again which was sooo funny coz there was like 10 of us all tryna stay together! 1 person was holding my food and I was holding someones finger!
More madness again at the next place, people were TOO drunk and it got pitch black. There was arguing, people hanging from wires, jumping in the river. Boi. So the bar shut and I wanted 2 go by land home, but everyone else (about 15 of us) wanted to tube, so I had to. There was 5 of us on the tube, I was shit scared! But we made it to the end.
All I remember after that was climbing up some funky stairs and walking across a bamboo bridge. My right leg went through the bridge and my leg was stuck at the knee. I was balling my eyes out n screaming. They tried to pull my leg out I've never felt pain like that b4! They tried to break it n used a crow bar to get me out. So relieved. My knee swelled up to like double its size.. Fingers crossed it will go down soon! Needless to say I went straight to bed after!
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment