Sunday 16 October 2011

Indochina Discovery; South East Asia survival tips!

Survival tips:

ALWAYS have tissue on you, you won't get any at the toilets.

Be prepared for some really disgusting toilets! Most are squat toilets on the floor, so practise your squatting technique!

Bring loads of immodium and Rennie - you WILL get a stomach ache!

Bring flu and cold medicine, you will most likely get ill. Oh and vicks also helps too. Oh and strepsils!

You only need 3 pairs of shoes - flip flops, trainers/plimsols and sandals. If they're waterproof even better.

You need a rain coat!

The best thing I ever did was bring a backpack with wheels. I haven't had to use it as a backpack ONCE! Just pulled it around everywhere!

Bring 1/2 warm jumpers and 1/2 long leggings - the journeys on bus get pretty cold.

Bring lots of US dollars - you can use it everywhere in Cambodia and easily exchange them when you get to the Vietnam and Laos border. You can also use them to pay for your Laos visa.

Bring a torch! I brought 2. 1 in my rucksack and a tiny one for my handbag in emergencies, you WILL need it!

Bring a scarf.. To use as a scarf and for other things like covering questionable pillows and covering up shoulders for temples. I used it when I had to ice a swollen knee.

All the accommodation has been great! Air con, towels, tv. Just not many hairdriers. Bring one if you need it.

Bring loads of insect repellent and cream for insect bites.

The only adaptor I used for all countries was the straight 2 pin plug. I used an adaptor with 2 usb ports so I could charge my camera and my phone/ipod at the same time. Great when there aren't many plug sockets to go around!

Get a blackberry! The best thing for travelling! I'm on pay as you go on o2 and pay £5 a month for 10mb of net per day anywhere in the world!! This is providing there's wireless service, which there was except for some of Laos. With bbm, facebook, twitter whatsapp and email with me at all times, I was happy!

Be very careful when tubing in Laos, and watch your step when going over bamboo bridges! (I fell through one!)

Bring lots of antiseptic wipes, arnica for swelling (which I didn't bring!), and an antiseptic cream for infected cuts. Oh and some antibiotics.

Any questions, just ask! :)
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment